|author||Nathan Lynch <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2012-06-17 11:54:00 (GMT)|
|committer||Peter Korsgaard <email@example.com>||2012-07-02 05:31:47 (GMT)|
docs: rework LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD documentation
The current structure of the LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD paragraph would make it difficult to add documentation for the "file" and "local" methods. There are enough possible values for LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD that describing them in a sub-list seems to work well, which makes it easier to add documentation for new methods. Signed-off-by: Nathan Lynch <firstname.lastname@example.org> Acked-by: Thomas Petazzoni <email@example.com> Acked-by: Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind) <firstname.lastname@example.org> Signed-off-by: Peter Korsgaard <email@example.com>
1 files changed, 29 insertions, 17 deletions
diff --git a/docs/manual/adding-packages-gentargets.txt b/docs/manual/adding-packages-gentargets.txt
index 918580e..b296ac4 100644
@@ -180,23 +180,35 @@ information is (assuming the package name is +libfoo+) :
-* +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+ may contain the method to fetch the package
- source code. It can either be +wget+ (for normal FTP/HTTP downloads
- of tarballs), +scp+ (for downloads over SSH with scp), +svn+, +git+,
- +hg+ or +bzr+. When not specified, it is guessed from the URL given
- in +LIBFOO_SITE+: +scp://+, +svn://+, +git://+ and
- +bzr://+ URLs will use the +scp+, +svn+, +git+ and +bzr+ methods
- respectively. All other URL-types will use the +wget+ method. So for
- example, in the case of a package whose source code is available
- through a Subversion repository on HTTP, one 'must' specifiy
- +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD=svn+. Similarly, for Mercurial repositories, one
- 'must' specify +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD=hg+. For +svn+, +git+, +hg+ and
- +bzr+ methods, what Buildroot does is a checkout/clone of the repository
- which is then tarballed and stored into the download cache. Next
- builds will not checkout/clone again, but will use the tarball directly.
- When +HOST_LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+ is not specified, it defaults to the value
- of +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+. See +package/multimedia/tremor/+ for an
+* +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+ determines the method used to fetch or copy the
+ package source code. In many cases, Buildroot guesses the method
+ from the contents of +LIBFOO_SITE+ and setting +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+
+ is unnecessary. When +HOST_LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+ is not specified, it
+ defaults to the value of +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+. +
+ The possible values of +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD+ are:
+ ** +wget+ for normal FTP/HTTP downloads of tarballs. Used by
+ default when +LIBFOO_SITE+ begins with +http://+, +https://+ or
+ ** +scp+ for downloads of tarballs over SSH with scp. Used by
+ default when +LIBFOO_SITE+ begins with +scp://+.
+ ** +svn+ for retrieving source code from a Subversion repository.
+ Used by default when +LIBFOO_SITE+ begins with +svn://+. When a
+ +http://+ Subversion repository URL is specified in
+ +LIBFOO_SITE+, one 'must' specify +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD=svn+.
+ Buildroot performs a checkout which is preserved as a tarball in
+ the download cache; subsequent builds use the tarball instead of
+ performing another checkout.
+ ** +git+ for retrieving source code from a Git repository. Used by
+ default when +LIBFOO_SITE+ begins with +git://+. The downloaded
+ source code is cached as with the +svn+
+ ** +hg+ for retrieving source code from a Mercurial repository. One
+ 'must' specify +LIBFOO_SITE_METHOD=hg+ when +LIBFOO_SITE+
+ contains a Mercurial repository URL. The downloaded source code
+ is cached as with the +svn+ method.
+ ** +bzr+ for retrieving source code from a Bazaar repository. Used
+ by default when +LIBFOO_SITE+ begins with +bzr://+. The
+ downloaded source code is cached as with the +svn+ method.
* +LIBFOO_DEPENDENCIES+ lists the dependencies (in terms of package
name) that are required for the current target package to